Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Final Reflection on Middle School Post

Debate Lesson Plan on All Summer In A Day The question they debated was-Should people conform/adapt to new cultures or not? It felt GREAT to be in charge of the classroom!!! I am a control freak, so why not!?# No, in all seriousness, I loved it. The kids had shown excitement for this lesson yesterday, and they did not disappoint their adult audience today. This advanced class is such a privilege. In my time substituting I've been in more Inclusion classes so I'm not concerned about having culture shock when I get back to that, I just appreciate when I get a chance to see this type of engagement. I was surprised at how concerned they were that they had gotten too far off the topic question in the debate process, but we reassured them that it was good mental exercise for the many debates ahead of them. I discovered that it helps me to look up definitions of words still, especially because of the many layers of meaning in words in our language-the example I'm thinking of is culture.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you bring up the distinction between different "leveled" classes. The school Matt and I were in was completely homogeneous, so I'm sure it was a different dynamic. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we had a great experience in middle school! I'm really glad that we got to share this experience. I will miss you in high school for sure! Good luck, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful class to watch. I love that they were talking about social constructivism without using those words.

    ReplyDelete